Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Zed: A Poem

My poem is a sestina. In class, I was told to copycat another poem, so I chose “ Altaforte” by Ezra Pound. Other than matching its structure, I opted to go for iambic pentameter as well. 



Source: KnowHr

Zed

I. 
I lurch awake and hear the frightful moan
These mindless husks seek only to eat brains
There's no recourse left me but to run
I duck and dodge but get cut off by fire
They close in, I grab for any weapon
I bring the baseball bat to stop their bite

II. 
Their jaws are strong, a chunk of wood they bite
A cry calls out, disdain shown in a moan
A shame, in games the bat is prime weapon
I toss the bat and flee to keep my brains
The mass of them has squelched the roaring fire
Push through the crowd and set out on a run

III. 
I thought that I'd be able to go run
But then they bear down on a girl to bite
I throw one by the shoulders into fire
It somehow does not silence its sick moan
The girl is easy target, just for brains
I'm scared but then she hands me a weapon

IV. 
Blast the flamer; shotgun – better weapon
The girl agrees it's time for us to run
Will his cohorts go for rotten brains?
Maybe they will stop here for a bite
My gut wrenches when I hear them all moan
The city must be cleanséd with the fire

V. 
A car explodes, stops us with its fire
Another one is dead; empty weapon
The girl does not have any shells; I moan
I know we cannot keep them on the run
Glancing down at her hand I see a bite
I realize I have not used my brains

VI. 
The girl tries to help herself to my brains
Her teeth rip flesh, arm feels like it's on fire
I scream, terror at what it means, her bite
Her face shocked, as if hit by a weapon
I lay there as she gets up to go run
It's not long till I join those who just moan

VII. 
No brawn will do, brains are your best weapon 
Stay far away, fire others and run
Or you will soon be one to bite and moan

No comments:

Post a Comment